The safe and prompt arrival of samples to the laboratory is very important for the accuracy, reliability and quick turnaround time of test results. The request form (with patient’s details, test required, relevant clinical information and contact Doctor’s details) must accompany the sample. The request form must be completed properly.
Specimens/samples should be collected in line with standard Clinical Laboratory Procedures in the proper tubes/containers, correctly labelled in the presence of the patient with at least 2 Patient Identifiers.
SAMPLE COLLECTION CODE
- B CITRATE TUBE/COAGULATION TUBE (BLUE STOPPER)
- F- FLUORIDE TUBE (GREY STOPPER)
- G- SST GEL TUBE (GOLD STOPPER) for serum samples.
- H- HEPARIN LITHIUM TUBE (GREEN STOPPER)
- PS- EDTA (PURPLE STOPPER)
- ST- STOOL SPECIMEN
- U- URINE SPECIMEN
- SS- SWAB STICKUB UNIVERSAL BOTTLE
- CB- CULTURE BOTTLE
- TP- TO BE PROVIDED BY US (NOT IN ALL CASES)
Samples may be rejected due to;Poor labeling, poor collection and poor storage during transportation. Insufficient/inappropriate samples.Usage of Inappropriate tubes during sample collection. Clotting and HaemolysisNOTEPlease, ensure that all samples are sent to us using correct collection bottles.